Overview of Steps and Requirements
- Read the information provided in the Wellness and Its Dimensions folder in Bb.
- Choose ONE "other" dimension of wellness that we haven't discussed this semester.
- Read the information provided on writing an evaluative argumentative essay in Bb.
- Conduct preliminary research to gain a clear and thorough understanding of the selected dimension of wellness and ways this dimension of wellness may be expressed and nurtured at an institution of higher education. (For example, social wellness can be expressed and nurtured through opportunities to play sports, join clubs, and/or attend special events. Social wellness can also be expressed and nurtured in the classroom through opportunities for group work).
- Peruse Wake Tech's web site for information pertaining to the selected dimension of wellness and take notes on what you discover. (In addition to browsing Wake Tech's web site, you might decide to survey a few of your instructors or other staff and/or administrators who hold roles in programs or services related to the selected dimension of wellness. For example, if you selected financial wellness, you might find it beneficial to go by the Financial Aid Express Desk and speak to a staff member about services offered to help students complete a FAFSA form).
- Conduct additional research that will help you provide important background information on the dimension of wellness. (For more specifics about research required, see below).
- Develop a thesis.
- Develop ideas for an effective introduction and conclusion.
- Complete an evaluative argumentative outline for the body of your essay.
- Practice integrating quotations and appropriately documenting sources using MLA style.
- Write an initial draft of your essay.
- Complete a PEER REVIEW.
- Identify areas that need revision and create a plan of "next steps."
- Revise as necessary to ensure you've met all requirements.
- Proofread and edit for grammar and spelling.
- Submit an effective evaluative argumentative essay that incorporates the required parts of an essay and the specific requirements outlined below through the appropriate submission link in Bb.
- Complete a Self-Assessment and Reflection exercise.
- intellectual wellness
- financial wellness
- environmental wellness
- spiritual wellness
- social wellness
- occupational wellness
Research and Source Requirements
- At least THREE sources must be retrieved from a library database. Library database resources should provide background information and/or relevant facts, statistics, case studies, etc. related to the selected dimension of wellness. (For example, if you choose to focus on intellectual wellness, you might find relevant facts, statistics, case studies, etc. on whether or not college students use libraries and whether or not those libraries meet students' needs. You might also find relevant facts, statistics, case studies, etc. on academic support services offered at colleges and whether or not the academic support services are effective).
- ONE source can be retrieved from a resource found through a basic web browser search EXCEPT you CANNOT use Wikipedia or any of its affiliates.
- ONE source is the Wake Tech website.